Narrative Text Bawang Putih Bawang Merah
EXCELLENT ONLINE ENGLISH COURSE
The following is the example of Narrative Text.
For the definition of Narrative Text and its explanation, just click here!
If you want to get the outline of the Text Types completely, simply click here!
Bawang Putih Bawang Merah
The story takes place in a simple village household. The head of this family has two wives, and each wife has their own daughter. Bawang Merah and her mother are jealous of the attention the father gives Bawang Putih and her mother. When the father dies, Bawang Merah and her mother take charge of the household and bully Bawang Putih into servitude. Bawang Putih’s mother stands up for her daughter but she soon dies prematurely, in some versions due to sickness and in some versions due to the intentional malice of Bawang Merah’s mother.
With her biological mother and father dead, the gentle and obedient Bawang Putih is left alone to be tortured by her cruel stepmother and half-sister. Though Bawang Putih suffers, she is patient. One day, when she is out in the woods, she sees a pond containing a live fish. The fish is able to speak, and tells her that it is her mother who has came back to comfort her. Bawang Putih is overjoyed to be able to speak with her mother again, and secretly visits the pond whenever she can.
One day Bawang Merah sees Bawang Putih sneaking off and secretly follows her to the pond, where she witnesses Bawang Putih talking to the fish. After Bawang Putih leaves, Bawang Merah lures the fish to the surface of the pond and catches it. Bawang Merah and her mother kill the fish, cook it and feed it to Bawang Putih without telling her where it came from. Once Bawang Putih finishes eating, her stepmother and stepsister reveal where they obtained the fish. Bawang Putih is repulsed and filled with remorse over this revelation.
Bawang Putih gathers the fish bones and bury them in a small grave underneath a tree. When she visits the grave the next day, she is surprised to see that a beautiful swing has appeared from one of the tree’s branches. When Bawang Putih sits in the swing and sings an old lullaby, it magically swings back and forth.
Bawang Putih continues to visit the magic swing whenever she can. One day, while she is on the magic swing, a Prince who is hunting nearby hears her song. He follows the sound of her voice, but before he approaches her, Bawang Putih realizes that she is not alone, she quickly runs back home.
The Prince and his advisors eventually find the home of Bawang Putih and Bawang Merah. (In some versions this happens immediately after the Prince’s first sighting of Bawang Putih, but in other versions it happens after a long search made by the Prince’s advisors). Bawang Merah’s mother, seeing the opportunity, orders Bawang Putih to stay hidden in the kitchen. The Prince asks about the swing and the girl who sat in it. Bawang Merah’s mother says that the girl he heard is her beautiful and talented daughter Bawang Merah. Though the Prince agrees that Bawang Merah is beautiful, he requests that she show him how she sang in the magical swing.
Bawang Merah and mother reluctantly follow the Prince and his advisors back to the magic swing. Bawang Merah sits in the swing and attempts to sing so that it will move, but she cannot. The Prince, now angry, ordered Bawang Merah’s mother to tell the truth. Bawang Merah’s mother is forced to confess that she has another daughter hidden in her house.
The Prince brings Bawang Putih back to the swing, and as she had done many times before, the magic swing starts moving as soon as she begins singing. The Prince is overjoyed and asks Bawang Putih to marry him. She agrees and they live happily ever after.
Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org
The possibly new vocabulary for you:
1. household: a house and its occupants regarded as a unit
2. jealous: unhappy because someone has something that you would like or can do something that you would like to do
3. bully: to frighten or hurt someone who is smaller or weaker than you
4. servitude: the position of someone who is a slave or someone who is completely controlled by another person
5. prematurely: happening too soon or before the usual time
6. intentional: done on purpose; deliberate
7. malice: a strong feeling of wanting to hurt someone or be unkind to them
8. gentle: a gentle person is kind and calm
9. obedient: doing what a person, law, or rule says that you must do
10. tortured: to hurt a person or animal deliberately in a very cruel way, especially as a punishment or in order to make them say something
11. stepmother: someone‘s stepmother is their father‘s new wife in a second or later marriage
12. half-sister: a sister who has either the same mother or the same father as you
13. suffers: to feel pain in your body or your mind
14. pond: an area of water similar to a lake but smaller, especially one that has been built artificially
15. secretly: in a way that involves doing something without telling other people
16. sneaking off: to move somewhere quietly and secretly so that no one can see you or hear you
17. lures: to persuade someone to do something by making it look very attractive
18. reveal: to let something become known, for example a secret or information that was previously not known
19. obtained: to get something that you want or need, especially by going through a process that is difficult
20. repulsed: cause to feel intense distaste and aversion
21. remorse: a strong sad and guilty feeling about something that you have done wrong
22. grave: the place where a dead body is buried in a deep hole in the ground. A tomb is a structure above the ground that contains a dead body
23. swing: a seat suspended by ropes or chains, on which someone may sit and swing back and forth
24. lullaby: a relaxing song that helps a young child go to sleep
25. confess: to admit that you have committed a crime
Test your mastery on the text above by taking the following online quiz!
Having e-learning will reduce the use of paper which means less trees cut which in turn helps to keep the earth green. Take this online quiz (no paper required) and get the complete results sent to the email you enter into the box. So please use your valid e-mail address. Fill the user name with your full name then click start!
[kml_flashembed publishmethod="static" fversion="8.0.0" movie="http://thousandsideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/bawang-putih-n-merah.swf" width="550" height="400" targetclass="flashmovie" play="true" quality="best"]
The Other Narrative Text Examples:
- Jaka Tarub and Nawang Wulan
- Loro Jonggrang
- Lutung Kasarung
- Origin of Lotus
- Rama, The Dutiful Son
- Telaga Warna
- The Fox and the Mosquitoes
- The Penny Wise Monkey
- The Pirate Crocodile
- The Princess and the Pea
- The White Gibbon
- Uncle Spider
- The Bird with Two Heads
- The Birds and the Shivering Monkeys
- The Jackal and the Arrow
- The Monkeys and the Bell
- The Purse of Gold
- An Old Tiger and a Greedy Traveler
- The Wind and the Moon
- The Talkative Tortoise
- The Ant and the Grasshopper
- The Buffoon and the Countryman
- The Dog and the Wolf
- The Fox and the Stork
- The Fox, the Cock, and the Dog
- The Frog and the Ox
- The Hare with Many Friends
- The Labourer and the Nightingale
- The Lion in Love
- The Man and the Satyr
- The Man, the Boy, and the Donkey
- The Shepherd’s Boy
- The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse
- Bawang Putih Bawang Merah
- Keong Emas
- Calon Arang
- Kancil and the Farmer
- The Myth of Malin Kundang
- The Story of Sangkuriang and Tangkuban Perahu Mountain
- The Legend of Toba Lake
- Snow White
- The Story of Smart Monkey and Dull Crocodile
- Romeo and Juliet
- Kite’s Tale
- Story of Rabbit and Bear
- Queen of Arabia and Three Sheiks
- The Smartest Parrot
Filed under: English Course (Reading)
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!