Narrative Text The Story of Sangkuriang and Tangkuban Perahu Mountain
EXCELLENT ONLINE ENGLISH COURSE
For the definition of Narrative Text and its explanation, just click here!
If you want to get the outline of the Text Types completely, simply click here!
The Story of Sangkuriang and Tangkuban Perahu Mountain
Once, there was a kingdom in Priangan Land. Lived a happy family. They were a father in form of dog,his name is Tumang, a mother which was called Dayang Sumbi, and a child which was called Sangkuriang.
One day, Dayang Sumbi asked her son to go hunting with his lovely dog, Tumang. After hunting all day, Sangkuriang began desperate and worried because he hunted no deer. Then he thought to shot his own dog. Then he took the dog liver and carried home.
Soon Dayang Sumbi found out that it was not deer lever but Tumang’s, his own dog. So, She was very angry and hit Sangkuriang’s head. In that incident, Sangkuriang got wounded and scar then cast away from their home.
Years go bye, Sangkuriang had travel many places and finally arrived at a village. He met a beautiful woman and felt in love with her. When they were discussing their wedding plans, The woman looked at the wound in Sangkuriang’s head. It matched to her son’s wound who had left severall years earlier. Soon she realized that she felt in love with her own son.
She couldn’t marry him but how to say it. Then, she found the way. She needed a lake and a boat for celebrating their wedding day. Sangkuriang had to make them in one night. He built a lake. With a dawn just moment away and the boat was almost complete. Dayang Sumbi had to stop it. Then, she lit up the eastern horizon with flashes of light. It made the cock crowed for a new day.
Sangkuriang failed to marry her. He was very angry and kicked the boat. It felt over and became the mountain of Tangkuban Perahu Bandung.
Taken from: http://understandingtext.blogspot.com which is simplified from: www.bandungtourism.com
The possibly new vocabulary for you:
1. desperate: very worried and angry because you do not know how to deal with an unpleasant situation
2. shot: an act of firing a gun
3. incident: something that happens, especially a violent, criminal, or dangerous event
4. wounded: injured, especially with a cut in your flesh
5. scar: a permanent mark on your skin where you have been injured
6. dawn: the beginning of the day, when it begins to get light
7.lit : the past form of light, brightness from the sun or from a light, which allows you to see things
8. flash: to shine brightly for a very short time, or to shine on and off very quickly
9. cock: an adult male chicken. The noise that a cock makes is called crowing. The usual American word is rooster.
10. matched: to show that two things are related or are the same
11. liver: the organ in your body that cleans your blood and produces bile (=a liquid that helps your body process fat)
12.hunt: the activity of chasing and killing wild animals
Test your mastery on the text above by taking the following online quiz!
Having e-learning will reduce the use of paper which means less trees cut which in turn helps to keep the earth green. Take this online quiz (no paper required) and get the complete results sent to the email you enter into the box. So please use your valid e-mail address. Fill the user name with your full name then click start!
[kml_flashembed publishmethod="static" fversion="8.0.0" movie="http://thousandsideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/sangkuriang.swf" width="550" height="400" targetclass="flashmovie" play="true" quality="best"]
The Other Narrative Text Examples:
- Jaka Tarub and Nawang Wulan
- Loro Jonggrang
- Lutung Kasarung
- Origin of Lotus
- Rama, The Dutiful Son
- Telaga Warna
- The Fox and the Mosquitoes
- The Penny Wise Monkey
- The Pirate Crocodile
- The Princess and the Pea
- The White Gibbon
- Uncle Spider
- The Bird with Two Heads
- The Birds and the Shivering Monkeys
- The Jackal and the Arrow
- The Monkeys and the Bell
- The Purse of Gold
- An Old Tiger and a Greedy Traveler
- The Wind and the Moon
- The Talkative Tortoise
- The Ant and the Grasshopper
- The Buffoon and the Countryman
- The Dog and the Wolf
- The Fox and the Stork
- The Fox, the Cock, and the Dog
- The Frog and the Ox
- The Hare with Many Friends
- The Labourer and the Nightingale
- The Lion in Love
- The Man and the Satyr
- The Man, the Boy, and the Donkey
- The Shepherd’s Boy
- The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse
- Bawang Putih Bawang Merah
- Keong Emas
- Calon Arang
- Kancil and the Farmer
- The Myth of Malin Kundang
- The Story of Sangkuriang and Tangkuban Perahu Mountain
- The Legend of Toba Lake
- Snow White
- The Story of Smart Monkey and Dull Crocodile
- Romeo and Juliet
- Kite’s Tale
- Story of Rabbit and Bear
- Queen of Arabia and Three Sheiks
- The Smartest Parrot
Filed under: English Course (Reading)
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!